We try to mix it up, sometimes ordering take-out, sometimes trying a new restaurant, sometimes just throwing a frozen Tombstone in the oven! But I try to mostly make a homemade pizza of some variation. As you know, I try to watch my starch and sugar intake, but I’m not really a die-hard low carb lifer, so I’ve tried lots of yeasty dough recipes. They’ve all been good, but nothing that was better than the crust at our favorite take-out joint.
This crust, however, is by far our family’s favorite homemade pizza crust. The kids gobble it up and I have to swat Hub’s hands off the kid’s half or he’ll eat way more than his share. Best part…it’s low carb for Momma.
This homemade low carb pizza crust is quick to make, taking only about 5 minutes of prep and your pizza will be out of the oven and ready to eat in just 12 minutes! Basically you can make this in the same amount of time it takes to bake a frozen pizza…and it is so much tastier!
This crust (modified from Fat Head Crust/Holy Grail Pizza Crust recipes) is super sturdy to hold as many toppings as you want to load on and packed full of flavor. I use this same recipe to make breakfast pizza and Ranch veggie pizza when I need to bring an appetizer to a party.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Makes a 12” pizza, serves 4
¾ c. almond flour
½ t. garlic salt
2 c. shredded Mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese
2 oz. cream cheese, cubed
Toppings of choice (*all meat and veggies should be precooked)
Tools: You’ll want a fork for all the mixing and “docking”, a small mixing bowl, a large, microwavable mixing bowl, some parchment paper, a baking stone, and a pizza peel.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper that will fit on your pizza stone, allowing plenty of over hang for handling. Lay the paper flat on countertop workspace.
- Place your pizza stone inside a cold oven and set the preheat temp to 425 degrees
- Toss the shredded cheese with the almond flour and garlic salt in a large, microwaveable mixing bowl.
- Add the egg to the mix and stir around as evenly possible.
- Cube the cream cheese and add to the top of the mixture.
- Heat the mixture in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir and heat for another 20 seconds, or until everything is melted and combined to make a smooth “dough”
- Transfer “dough” onto the parchment paper. Use a smooth plastic spatula to spread the dough or wet your hands and press the mixture into your desired size/shape. You’ll want it to be about ¼” thick. “Dock” the dough with the tines of a fork – poke little holes all over the crust to prevent bubbling.
- Once oven is preheated, slide pizza peel under the parchment paper and transfer crust onto the hot stone in oven.
- Bake for 8 minutes
- After 8 minutes, use peel to take the parchment and crust out of the oven. Use a fork to poke holes in any area where large bubbles are forming.
- Add toppings.
- Place back into the oven for 4 minutes or until cheese on top is all melted.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting and serving.